Microsoft 365 Updates: June 2021
AMT’s Monthly Microsoft 365 Updates keep you up to date with new features and important announcements from Microsoft. Microsoft 365 has a continuous roll-out of changes. We filter out the announcements that we think will be most relevant to our customers and send them out in an easily digestible form. Here are the Microsoft 365 June updates.
If you would like to receive these updates in newsletter form, once a month and straight to your email, please click subscribe below.
(Updated) SharePoint Site Templates
Users will be able to benefit from the ability to browse, preview, and apply site templates to a new or existing SharePoint site. Users can select a site template that meets organisational business objectives and best fits the site goal while ensuring a higher level of consistency throughout their organisation. They can then review pre-populated content and customize the site to address their needs. This feature is default on with no admin control.
To apply a template to an existing site: Users can choose to browse site templates and can apply a template to an existing site at any time by accessing the template gallery from Site Settings and then Apply a site template.
To apply a template to a new site: If a site owner is visiting their new site for the first time, they may see a message asking if they want to use a template that will take them to the template gallery.
Choose desired template.
Preview and apply selected template.
Available scenario-based site templates:
Communication site templates:
- Department – Engage and connect viewers with departmental news and resources.
- Leadership connection – Build community by connecting leadership and team members.
- Learning central – Showcase learning and training opportunities.
- New employee onboarding – Streamline and refine new hire onboarding process.
- Showcase – Spotlight a product, event, or team using visual content.
- Topic – Engage viewers with informative content like news and announcements.
- Blank – Create your own custom site starting with a blank home page.
Team site templates:
- Event planning – Coordinate and plan event details with your team.
- Project management – Create a collaboration space for your project team.
- Training and courses – Prepare course participants for learning opportunities.
- Training and development team – Plan opportunities to help others learn and grow.
- Team collaboration – Manage projects, share content, and stay connected with your team.
Microsoft Lists: @mention people in the comments
When you try to add a comment, you can type the @ sign in the comment textbox, which will suggest people to mention. You can choose to keep typing the name to narrow down suggestions or select someone from the suggestions.
When you send the comment, we verify whether all @mentioned users have edit permission on the list item. If not, a share & notify dialog will open listing all @mentioned users who don’t have these permissions. You can choose to share the list item with these users and notify them. The item will be shared with edit permissions to the mentioned people.
Below are snapshots of this feature in action:
@mention person selected from the suggestions
An email notification received by the mentioned user appears as shown above. When someone receives this email, they click the “Go to comment” button and are then directed to the appropriate comment in the list item.
Microsoft Lists: Sync your lists for improved performance and offline access
After the Microsoft Nucleus.exe is installed and running, the sync process begins when a user first navigates to any list or to the Lists web app. All eligible lists that are visible from the Lists app will be synced.
Common operations on lists, such as changing list views, sorting, filtering, and grouping happen locally and finish quickly even on very large lists. All of these operations continue to work offline. Edits sync between your device and the cloud and you can resolve merge conflicts if there are any.
This feature is on by-default for all eligible lists.
To configure Lists sync on users’ devices, use below Group Policy objects (GPOs):
- DisableNucleusSync: Prevent Lists sync from running on the device (default: not enabled).
- BlockExternalListSync: Prevent users from syncing lists shared from other organisation (default: not enabled).
- DisableNucleusSilentConfig: Prevent users from getting silently signed in to Lists sync with their Windows credentials (default: not enabled).
- Control Access from unmanaged devices: Blocks or limits access to SharePoint and OneDrive content from unmanaged devices (default: not configured).
- Control access to SharePoint and OneDrive data based on network location:Controls access to SharePoint and OneDrive resources in Microsoft 365 based on defined network locations that you trust (default: not configured).
Search box changes for guest users in OneDrive, SharePoint and Lists
Guest users who sign in to SharePoint sites, OneDrive folders, Microsoft Lists will start to see the search box where your regular users see it at the top middle of the page in the Office 365 suite navigation bar. OneDrive for Business folders shared with guests used to not show a search box, and will start to show the search box after this change.
Note: Guest users will not be able to search in SharePoint Start Page, unchanged from the behaviour we have today.
Quick Create – Easily create Power BI Reports from Lists
List users will see a new menu option in Integrate > Power BI > Visualise this list, which allows users to create a new Power BI report using that list. With just one click, you’ll be able to autogenerate a basic report and customize the list columns that are shown in the report. To take further advantage of Power BI’s advanced data visualisation capabilities, just go into Edit mode. Once a report is saved and published, it will appear in the same submenu under Integrate > Power BI.
- Users with a Microsoft 365 E5 license or Power BI Pro license will have access to the full report authoring and viewing experience.
- Users without either of the above licenses will be prompted by Power BI to sign up for a 60-day free trial of Power BI Pro when they attempt to save a new report or edit or view an existing report. To turn off self-service sign-up so that the option for a trial is not exposed to List users, click here.
- Users with a Power BI free license may only visualise their list data, but cannot publish nor view reports.
End-to-end encryption for Teams calling
- A new policy will be added and it will have parameter to enable E2EE for 1-1 calls, default value is OFF so no impact until enabled. Admin can enable E2EE for a set of users or entire tenant.
- End users:
- If allowed by admin, the end user will see E2EE option in their settings, by default it will be OFF until switched ON by end user. E2EE calls will only support basic calling features like audio, video, screen share, chat and advanced features like call escalation, transfer, record, merge etc. will not be available.
This feature update of Live transcription with speaker attribution in Microsoft Teams meetings is a written record of the conversations available during and after the meeting and will provide another way to both follow and review meeting conversations. This feature release will roll out on Teams desktop.
Microsoft will begin rolling this out in late June and expect to complete rollout in early July.
Microsoft Teams: webinars plus new meeting registration options
When scheduling a meeting, your users will see the Webinar option on the Calendar drop down menu in Teams (desktop/web).
Additionally, users will be able to add registrations for meetings and webinars for people in your organisation and outside of your organisation.
The registration feature will be on by default For everyone. In order to view who attended the webinars, we recommended setting the “AllowEngagementReport” policy to true.
Note: Microsoft will honour any existing meeting policies enabled within your organisation:
- If allow scheduling private meetings is turned off, then users will not be able to schedule webinars.
- When anonymous join is disabled for the tenant, users can schedule a public webinar but it will fail on join.
- SharePoint lists are required in order to set up webinars. To set this up, learn more here: Control settings for Microsoft Lists
Paging in Large Gallery
When you choose Large Gallery, and if there are more than 49 videos, navigation controls < and > would appear below the Large Gallery and you can use these controls to view or engage with more video participants.
Note: The same functionality of paging will soon be available (September) in normal 3×3 Gallery.
Teams Meeting Auto Recording
Meeting organisers will be able to set a meeting to auto-record by checking the “Record automatically” setting from their Meeting Options page. This option can be enabled for a single meeting occurrence or for a series.
The meeting will automatically start recording after the first participant joins the meeting. The recording is saved to the initiator’s OneDrive (if the meeting was a privately scheduled meeting) or to SharePoint (if the meeting was a channel meeting) or Stream for customers who are still on the Stream Platform. The meeting initiator and meeting organizer will both have owner rights to the recording.
Microsoft 365 Information Governance- Retention policies for Teams private channels messages
Administrators will now be able to create Teams private channel messages retention policies from the Information Governance solution in the Microsoft 365 Compliance Center.
Retention policies for Teams private channel messages do not apply to Teams channel messages or Teams chat messages.
Microsoft Teams: New assignment experience in modal window for Breakout Rooms
Organisers who are configuring and managing Breakout Rooms on a Teams desktop client will perform participant assignment tasks via this new UI.
The organiser will have the ability to assign participants when rooms are closed and/or re-assign them while rooms are open via this new modal window.
Chat has become a lively space for conversation and idea-sharing and offers an option for people to participate in the discussion without having to jump in verbally. But it can be challenging to pay attention to video feeds, presentations, and chats all at the same time.
With chat bubbles, meeting participants can follow chat on the main screen of a meeting.
This is default on but users have the option to hide chat bubbles during a meeting from the ellipsis
Teams Attendance Reports
Once available, this will allow meeting organiser to view the report without download as well as the joined registration/attendance data.
Feature will be rolling out default OFF, IT admins can enable the attendance dashboard, turn on the AllowEngagementReport policy with the following command in PowerShell:
- Set-CsTeamsMeetingPolicy -AllowEngagementReport Enabled
Lower all Raised Hands
When at least one hand is raised, all users in your organisation can use this feature. Organisers and presenters can navigate to the participant roster during a meeting, click on the
option at the top right of the roster, and choose to lower all hands.
Microsoft Teams: Profile menu update, relocating profile menu links to a new menu in the title bar
The Me Menu will be focused on account management, with account and tenant switching moved to level one of the menu.
Settings, Zoom Controls, Keyboard Shortcuts, About, and Check for Updates is moving from the Me Menu to a new menu in the title bar.
OneDrive: Sharing experience – “Shared with”
Users who have the right permissions and interact with the OneDrive/SharePoint share control will easily be able to jump into Manage Access by clicking on the “Shared With” list for more control and granularity.
Note: Some users may see this feature before other users within your organisation.
Search across images with Microsoft Search
There is no impact as a result of this change. Once complete, individuals in your organisation will be able to search across images in addition to content stored in Microsoft 365 or external systems with Microsoft Graph connectors.
Announcing Communication Compliance policy cloning and consumption visibility
The following features will be made generally available within the Communication Compliance solution:
- Policy cloning. The new policy cloning feature helps you easily create similar policies for different audiences but with the same conditions, for instance.
- Policy consumption visibility. The new policy consumption visibility will help you manage policies within your tenant.
Microsoft 365 Information Governance
Users in SharePoint will now be able to “delete” files labeled with a retention label configured to “retain items for a specific period” as this operation is no longer blocked with an error message. When deleted, these files will still be preserved for compliance purposes by moving a copy of them to the “Preservation Hold Library” of the site where they can be accessed by eDiscovery and other compliance solutions.
- This change does not cause any loss of data meant to be retained, it simply allows users to remove the file from their library view while it’s preserved for compliance purposes.
- This change does not alter the behavior of labels configured to “only delete items when they reach a certain age” or “don’t retain or delete items”. This change also does not affect how retention policies behave in SharePoint.
- This change only applies to SharePoint. OneDrive files already have this experience.
Release of new Yammer Desktop experience and Retirement of existing Yammer Desktop App
If users in your organization are actively using the current Yammer Desktop app or plan to start using it soon we want to make sure you are informed of these upcoming changes. When the new installable Desktop Application is released we will have in-app banners to help users transition to the new Desktop experience.
Up until retirement on July 31st, 2021 Microsoft will support the existing experience and address high priority items. After July 31st, 2021 if users open the current Yammer Desktop app they will see a blocking banner with information about the new desktop experiences available to them.