Microsoft 365 Updates: October 2020
AMT’s Monthly Microsoft 365 Updates keep you up to date with new features and important announcements from Microsoft. Microsoft 365 has a continuous roll-out of changes. We filter out the announcements that we think will be most relevant to our customers and send them out in an easily digestible form. Here are the Microsoft 365 October updates.
If you would like to receive these updates in newsletter form, once a month and straight to your email, please click subscribe below.
My Feed web part
The My feed web part will show as a new option in the web part toolbox.
After it has been added to a SharePoint page, the My feed web part will show a mix of content from across Microsoft 365, based on what’s likely to be most relevant to the current user at any given time. Please note that only content that the user has permission to access will be shown.
Modern Capability to add custom content types in SharePoint
Custom content types that are available to your SharePoint sites can easily be added to lists & libraries that allow multiple content types.
- In those SharePoint lists & libraries that allow multiple content types, a new ‘Content type’ option will be available in the ‘Add column’ menu. Learn more about supporting multiple content types
- In the panel that appears, you will be able to select any of the valid custom content types for the list or library, review their information and choose to add them.
- On selecting “Apply”, the custom content type will be added to the list or library.
Ability to appear offline as new presence status
This feature does not alter how the product works; it helps users to set expectations with their network that they are unlikely to respond right now.
Microsoft Teams – Virtual Breakout Rooms
Meeting Organisers and Participants
- To see the breakout rooms option within your meetings, you must turn on the new Teams meeting experience by
- Clicking on your profile image within Teams
- Selecting Settings
- Checking the “Turn on new meeting experience” option within General settings.
- Restart your Teams client.
- You can double check that the setting is setup correctly by starting a meeting and verifying that the meeting opens in its own window.
- Make sure all participants, including the meeting organiser are using the latest version of Teams. If joining on Android or iOS mobile or tablet, make sure participants go to their App Store and download the latest update.
- As a meeting organiser, join a channel / private scheduled meeting, or channel / private meet now meeting. Once you are in the meeting you should see the breakout room option next to the raise hand control.
- You must be a meeting organiaer to see the option. Meeting attendees and presenters will not see the breakout rooms option.
Microsoft Teams: meeting recordings saved to OneDrive and SharePoint
Microsoft are changing the storage for new Teams meeting recordings to be stored on, and served from, OneDrive and SharePoint (ODSP) – instead of Microsoft Stream (Classic). Customers are able to opt in, opt out, or take no action with regard to these changes.
This change will apply to customers who either opt in or take no action following this announcement.
Transfer Teams meeting between devices or add another device
How to transfer a meeting from one device to another or add a companion device:
- Open Teams (mobile app or desktop app) on the second device
- On the banner advising that the meeting is in progress, select Join.
- Then select “Add this device” or “Transfer to this device”
When adding or transferring to a mobile device
When adding or transferring to a desktop device
Reducing background noise in Microsoft Teams meetings
Users can set the noise suppression level before a meeting. Once changed, the setting applies to the next call.
The four settings are Auto (default), Low, High, and Off.
They are accessible from the profile image > Settings prior to a meeting and from More options.
When left on the default setting, Auto, the Teams app sets noise suppression based on ambient sound.
- Low is designed for persistent background noise like an air conditioner, computer fan, or music.
- High suppresses all background sound that is not speech; this setting uses more computer resources.
- Off disables the noise suppression feature.
OneNote feed in Outlook for the web
The OneNote feed allows users to easily access notes in Outlook on the web. The OneNote feed includes Sticky Notes and recent OneNote pages so users can quickly reference them in Outlook. They can use search to find a note or create a new Sticky Note from within Outlook.
Notifications coming to the Yammer Communities app in Microsoft Teams
This change makes it easier for users to see their Yammer notifications and conversations, stay engaged, and react — all within Teams.
If your organisation or specific users in your organisation have installed the Communities app in Microsoft Teams, they will begin receiving notifications in the Teams activity feed at the beginning of November. The rollout should be complete by the end of November.
Information Governance: Retention for Yammer messages
If you are using Yammer Enterprise within your organisation and wish to set retention or deletion policies to ensure you’re keeping only the data you need in your tenant, you will be able to target Yammer communities and users with new or existing retention policies.
Introducing Designer in Word
Designer helps writers create documents with a consistent look-and-feel. It provides a variety of themes to help writers create documents that better communicate ideas visually.
To access Designer, open a document in Word for the web and then select Home > Designer.
Designer also detects formatting inconsistencies. Apply formatting fixes by clicking on a button at the top of the pane or allow formatting fixes to be applied automatically when selecting a theme.
In addition, Designer will improve Word document accessibility by using semantic styles (e.g., title and headings).
Designer will eventually make additional suggestions as well.